call for papers

Reid, Allan P russky at UNB.CA
Thu Jun 16 11:24:49 UTC 2005

Hello Tamara

I hope you don't mind being asked a sort of preliminary question, prior to a submission.
 I am working on Natalia Gorbanevskaia, the Russian poet and dissident, who has been
living in Paris since 1976.  She has been a "Polonofile" since the 50's, and has
translated numerous Polish poets--most notably Milosz' Traktat, and has been translated
by several Poles, incl Baranczyk, Drawicz, Woroszylski. . .   She just became a Polish
citizen  (partially throught he intervention of the Pol President)  a month or so
ago-although she will continue to live in Paris.  She was recently featured in the
Polish version of Newsweek under the heading Polka Honoris Causa, a nickname given to
her by the Poles in Paris in the '80's who she supported in various ways.  (Lots of
details about her work on Katyn, Solidarity, etc. are interesting here.)

To the point:--there is only one journal published in Poland in Russian for export to
Russia on Polish Lit, Culture, history, etc.  It's a monthly called Novaia Polsha, and
has been published since 99.  In many ways it's a continuation of the special Russian
issues put out by Kultura in 61, 71, and 81, and was at least partly inspired by
Gedroyc's vision.  Gorbanevskaia is in the editorial board, the main translator and
quite a bit of her work appears there.

What I will propose is a sort of overview of this publication, its function, vision,
etc, in bringing (the new) Poland to a Russian audience (in "new" Russia).  (It is
supported by the gov't)  I would also connect it to certain things in Paris esp in the
80's incl Kultura, some of the underground publications, such as Kontakt, (which she
came up with as a title!) etc. and she would be the connecting thread, although the
focus would be the journal.

Why the question:  --I'm not sure if it quite meets the criteria of the general headings
you have set out.  It is probably close to III and IV, but I'm not sure how flexible
you are, etc.

I realize I would have to prepare a proper abstract/submission, which would be judged on
its own merits, but I don't want to do it if it isn't going to fit the conference
themes.  I think it would be a geat audience for this part of my project, and of
interest to lots of the participants, but maybe I'm too optimistic.  (I've just arrived
in Moscow from Warsaw where I interviewed a number of people, and am naturally qute
excited about the timing of my work with your CFP!)

So if you are able to answer the basic question, I'd really appreciate it, and I
apologise if I gave you more info than you needed.

Best wishes

allan reid