Query about ATMs and rental cars

nataliek natalie.kononenko at UALBERTA.CA
Fri Jun 17 17:48:22 UTC 2005

Dear Savvy Travelers,

I would like some advice about ATMs and rental cars.  We leave for Ukraine in
2 weeks.  From what I gather, using an ATM, esp. in Kyiv, is not wise.  I have
read one solution on line.  I'm not sure whether it was on this list or
another one.  It is too late to implement that solution, which involved
opening a special bank account, for us.  Any other suggestions?  Do you
recommend travelers' checks?  Is it better to have these in US dollars (we are
in Canada)?  Or are Euros preferable.

Then the rental car issue.  In the past, we have rented a car plus driver,
usually through the Academy of Sciences or through friends.  We were hoping to
enjoy the freedom of renting a car we could drive ourselves.  From what I
hear, car rentals are no longer available from places like Avis and Hertz due
to a high rate of theft.  Again, any comments, advice, suggestions are
welcome.

Natalie Kononenko
Kule Chair of Ukrainian Ethnography
University of Alberta
Department of Modern Languages and Cultural Studies
441C Arts Building
Edmonton, AB Canada T6G 2E6
http://www.arts.ualberta.ca/uvp/
Phone: 780-492-6810