"Sluchai s patsanom"

Uladzimir Katkouski uladzik at YAHOO.COM
Sun Jun 19 11:51:04 UTC 2005

Hi:

(I have a tape back in Minsk, but I got only one copy.
In case no one else has it, I might try to arrange
something, asking my sister to find it at my parent's
apartment, to copy it and mail it to the US.)

As for the movie, whoever called it Belarusan
"Trainspotting" gave it way too much credit. It's not
even close. The movie is a very cheap production (in
terms of video quality, photography, sound,
everything) which is a kind of comedy, a parody on the
Belarusan political situation in Minsk in 2001 just
before the presidential "elections."

If you are familiar with the newspaper "Navinki" (
http://www.navinki.net/ ) that existed in Belarus in
late 1990's, early 2000's (that published hillarious
little cartoons, articles and comics about Belarus
politics), then you can easily understand what kind of
movie is "Sluchai s patsanom": it's a movie made by
"Navinki" team very much in the spirit and style of
their newspaper.

And, by the way, there's very little Belarusian, just
a couple lines from several characters, so it's 95% in
Russian.

So I would give it a ratigin of 3 out of 10. If you
really want to see some cool Belarusian movie, I
strongly recommend "Occupation. Mysterium". I think
that's the best movie in the last 5-7 years. And, by
the way, it's banned in Belarus.

Regards,
Uladzimir Katkouski
http://blog.rydel.net/

--- "Curt F. Woolhiser" <cwoolhis at FAS.HARVARD.EDU>