mixed fonts & keyboards

Elizabeth M. Sheynzon e-sheynzon at NORTHWESTERN.EDU
Tue Jun 21 20:52:32 UTC 2005

Hi Paul,
Could you tell me, which encoding are you (and obviously others) using?
I usually can read or decipher any encoding -- except for the one I encounter on this list.
Thanks,
Elizabeth

Elizabeth M. Sheynzon
Northwestern University
Slavic Languages and Literature
e-sheynzon at northwestern. edu

==============Original message text===============
On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 8:04:11 am CDT "Paul B. Gallagher" wrote:

Steven Hill wrote:

> Dear colleagues:
>
> What sort of arrangement of keys on a Cyrillic keyboard would produce
> the curious 6-letter Cyrillic (Russian) word " ЯХМЕЛЮ " [ my
> transliteration: "YAKHMELYU" ] ?
>
> That is, when Internet Movie Data-Base received the above film
> data,*** the Russian title emerged in IMDB's Cyrillic font as the
> nonsensical "YAKHMELYU," which suggests the sender must have been
> using some totally different arrangement of Cyrillic keys than IMDB
> uses...?
>
> *** On IMDB, "YAKHMELYU" is supposedly the Russian title for a
> Georgian film (directed by Liana Eliava, 1978), a title rendered in
> some other lands as "Le cinema," "Sinema," etc.

It's not a keyboard issue, it's an encoding issue. If you take the word
"яхмелю" in KOI8-R and display it as Windows 1251, it comes out as "синема."

Paul B. Gallagher
pbg translations, inc.
http://pbg-translations.com