Piataia grafa

Benjamin Rifkin brifkin at WISC.EDU
Tue Jun 21 21:54:13 UTC 2005

Dear SEELANGers:

The RAILS project at the University of Wisconsin-Madison (our website is at
http://imp.lss.wisc.edu/rails) is working on a lesson that includes a clip
about the nationality section of the passport (piataia grafa).  We would
like to include in the lesson some memories /  personal experiences with the
piataia grafa of the old Soviet passports.  If you lived in the Soviet Union
and have some personal opinions or memories about the nationality section of
the passport and would like to share those with us (in Russian) for the
benefit of students learning about Russian history and culture, we would
greatly appreciate it.  Especially interesting would be accounts of either
discrimmination or special (positive) treatment based on the piata grafa, or
personal feelings about whether the nationality section should have been
left out of or left in the new Russian passports.

Anything included in our lessons would be included with citation or
anonymously, as you prefer, but we may have to edit responses for length
constraints.  The lessons in which these materials are included will be
freely available to students anywhere in the world by web.  There will be no
copyright restrictions on the use of the materials.

Please direct any responses (or questions) to me at my new e-mail address:
brifkin at temple.edu.

Thank you.

Ben Rifkin
Benjamin Rifkin