Anthology of Russian short stories

Robert Chandler kcf19 at DIAL.PIPEX.COM
Sun Jun 26 07:31:47 UTC 2005

Dear all,

This is just to inform you all that my anthology RUSSIAN SHORT STORIES FROM
PUSHKIN TO BUIDA (ISBN: 0 140 44846 2) has finally been published in the UK
by Penguin Classics.

My choices of C19 stories are mostly obvious ones ­ e.g. ŒThe Queen of
Spades¹ and ŒThe Greatcoat¹ - but I have included a number of relatively
unfamiliar C20 writers: Zinovieva-Annibal and Teffi, Dobychin and
Krzhizhanovsky, Yuri Buida and Asar Eppel, among others.

Most of the translations are new, two outstanding exceptions being William
Edgerton¹s brilliant version of ŒThe Steel Flea¹ and the version of ŒThe
Gentleman from San Francisco¹ by S. Koteliansky in collaboration with
D.H.Lawrence and Leonard Woolf.  Around two thirds of the translations are
my own; the other translators (and co-translators) are Rosamund Bartlett,
Elizabeth Chandler, Jane Costlow, Martin Dewhirst, John Givens, Michael
Glenny, Angela Livingstone, Olga Meerson, Laura Michael, Oliver Ready, David
Richards, Joanne Turnbull, Nathan Wilkinson.

I have needed a huge amount of help from others at every stage of the work,
and SEELANGERS, in particular, have been remarkably generous in providing
both help and advice.  My thanks to everyone who replied to my many messages
­ and especially to those whom I have not already thanked more personally!

The book will be published in the USA in summer 2006.  In the meantime it is
possible to order it from amazon.co.uk and, no doubt, from any bookshop
willing to import books.

Thank you all again!

Robert Chandler