Anthology of Russian short stories

Robert Chandler kcf19 at DIAL.PIPEX.COM
Sun Jun 26 19:59:17 UTC 2005

Dear all,

I have been asked twice off-list for a contents list of my anthology, so I
thought I should send it to the list as a whole.

Best Wishes,

Robert

        The Penguin Book of
        Russian Short Stories
        from Pushkin to Buida

Edited with an Introduction and Notes by  Robert Chandler

Aleksandr Pushkin            The Queen of Spades

Mikhail Lermontov            The Fatalist

Nikolay Gogol             The Greatcoat

Ivan Turgenev             The Knocking

Fyodor Dostoyevsky            Bobok

Count Leo Tolstoy            God Sees the Truth, but Waits

Nikolay Leskov                  The Steel Flea

Anton Chekhov                 In the Cart

Lidiya Zinovyeva-Annibal            The Monster

Ivan Bunin                  The Gentleman from San Francisco

                                    In Paris

Teffi                            Love

                                    A Family Journey

Yevgeny Zamyatin            The Lion

Sigizmund Krzhizhanovsky            Quadraturin

Mikhail Bulgakov            The Embroidered Towel

Isaak Babel                  My First Goose

                                    The Death of Dolgushov

                                    Salt

Mikhail Zoshchenko            Electrification

                                    Pelageya

                                    The Bathhouse

                                    The Crisis

                                    The Galosh

                                    The Hat

Leonid Dobychin            Medical Auxiliary

                                    The Father

                                    Please Do

Andrey Platonov            The Third Son

                                    The Return

Daniil Kharms             The Old Woman

Varlam Shalamov            Through the Snow

                                    Berries

                                    The Snake Charmer

                            The Duck

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn            What a Pity

Vasily Shukshin            In the Autumn

Asar Eppel                  Red Caviar Sandwiches

Sergey Dovlatov            The Officer¹s Belt

Yury Buida                 Sindbad the Sailor