"Sonya Tolpova" and Graduate Student Abuse at UCLA

Katherine Crosswhite crosswhi at RICE.EDU
Sun May 1 00:17:43 UTC 2005

Dear Ron,

Thank you for your email to the SEELANGS list.  The additional information
you provide does help clarify what has been going on at UCLA Slavic.  I am
glad to know that your department has received such laudatory reviews and
that your current students are happy.

I was a graduate student in the Linguistics Department at UCLA during a
part of the time when the abuses were occurring, and know several of the
students who were abused.  Given what you say, it is clear to me that the
person posting under the name Sonya Tolpova is one of your former graduate
students.  I literally cannot stop asking myself "Could it be X? Could it
be Y?"  This is why I do not understand your lack of concern or sympathy
towards this poster.  Your email seems to say "our department had problems
and graduate students were hurt, but we deserve only accolades for having
fixed it".  Surely it would have been more appropriate to say "I am deeply
saddened that the past problems in our department so traumatized a fellow
human being that they would feel compelled to post this, and we are
committed to never allowing this to happen again."

I can think of several reasons for assuming an alias other than to "avoid
liability should the contents of the posted messages and website be
determined actionable for libel".  Perhaps Sonya Tolpova is one of the
students who left your program rather than endure the situation at the
time, and simply wants to say her piece without worrying about getting
recriminating emails.  But what if Sonya Tolpova graduated and is now
working in the field?  Would you want your colleagues to think of you as a
former abused graduate student?  And what about those two problem faculty
members you refer to -- now Sonya Tolpova's colleagues?  I don't know what
Sonya Tolpova was hoping to accomplish, but I think she was right to
conceal her identity from them.

In closing, let me say that I am delighted to know that your department has
been so successful in making positive changes and it is clearly appropriate
for you to have responded to the Tolpova email to let the Slavic community
know about them.  But certainly you could have done this without resorting
to blame-the-victim tactics.

Sincerely,

Katherine Crosswhite