Falen's Evegenii Onegin / khandra

David Powelstock pstock at BRANDEIS.EDU
Sat May 7 03:43:50 UTC 2005

Of course it's true that in translating one is always balancing a variety of
factors, but that's no excuse for gaffes of this magnitude.  BTW, now that I
remind myself of the stanza in question, Pushkin's narrator has already used
"angliiskii splin" by this point and is now searching for a Russian
equivalent.  Nabokov has, predictably, the utterly opaque "Russian
'chondria'."  (Honestly, if you're going to translate, translate already!)
To call it "simply Russian ennui" ends up, in context, being silly.  Maybe
"Russian gloom."  But this is an instance in which Falen has allowed the
always tenuous balance of literary factors to go out of whack, sacrificing
far too much syntactically to the other desiderata.  My guess is that he
would be glad to have it back.  All translators experience this at one point
or another.  But to defend such a slip on the grounds that translation is
hard is an insult to translators.  Better to change the line far more
radically than Falen has in this instance than to propagate such a crude
misanthropologism.

My third and fourth cents,
David
(Powelstock)