Polish Laboratory Theatre manuscripts in English translation?

Jennifer Lavy jlavy at U.WASHINGTON.EDU
Mon May 9 02:48:08 UTC 2005

I'm hoping someone on this list can help me.

According to the bibliography appended to *Twentieth Century Polish Theatre*
(Ed. Bohdan Drozdowski, Trans. Ed. Catherine Itzen. Dallas: Riverrun, 1979),
Dr. Ludwik Krzyzanowski had translated into English the action versions (by
Jerzy Grotowski and Ludwig Flassen) of at least two of the Polish Laboratory
Theatre's major production scripts and had made them available to the
public. These include the Polish Laboratory acting scripts of Juliusz
Słowacki's *The Constant Prince* and Stanisław Wyspiański's *Acropolis.* The
bibliography directs interested people to contact him at *The Polish
Review.* Of course, Dr. Krzyzanowski has long since retired from his post as
editor of *The Polish Review* and has passed away.

I have already contacted The Polish Institute of Arts & Sciences of America,
where Dr. Krzyzanowski's archives are housed, but a preliminary search has
not turned up the translations in question. I was recently at the Grotowski
Archives in Wrocław, but there are no English translations of the production
texts there.

This is certainly a long-shot, but might anyone on this list have copies of
these manuscripts or know anything more about them (or perhaps other English
translations of the Polish Lab production texts)?

Thank you in advance for any direction you can offer.

Jennifer Lavy
PhD Candidate, University of Washington School of Drama