New and Exciting Publication on Chekhov from Cornell University Press

Jen Longley jal225 at CORNELL.EDU
Tue May 17 19:02:36 UTC 2005

Hello,

   Cornell University Press is excited to announce a recent publication of
interest. The book, entitled "Seeing Chekhov: Life and Art” is authored by Michael C.
Finke.
   Included below is information on the book. If there are any questions,
please feel free to visit our website at
http://www.cornellpress.cornell.edu, or send an email to me at
jal225 at cornell.edu.

Jen Longley
Cornell University Press

New from Cornell University Press
Seeing Chekhov: Life and Art
Michael J. Finke
Cornell University Press
Cloth ISBN 0-8014-4315-6 $29.95 £ 15.50  €23.50
256 pages, 1 chart/graph, 16 halftones, 5 line drawings
http://www.cornellpress.cornell.edu

“Chekhov's keen powers of observation have been remarked by both memoirists
who knew him well and scholars who approach him only through the written record
and across the distance of many decades. To apprehend Chekhov means seeing
how Chekhov sees, and the author's remarkable vision is understood as deriving
from his occupational or professional training and identity. But we have failed to
register, let alone understand, just what a central concern for Chekhov himself, and
how deeply problematic, were precisely issues of seeing and being seen.”-from the
Introduction

Michael C. Finke explodes a century of critical truisms concerning Chekhov's
objective eye and what being a physician gave him as a writer in a book that
foregrounds the deeply subjective and self-reflexive aspects of his fiction and drama.
In exploring previously unrecognized seams between the author's life and his verbal
art, Finke profoundly alters and deepens our understanding of Chekhov's
personality and behaviors, provides startling new interpretations of a broad array of
Chekhov's texts, and fleshes out Chekhov's simultaneous pride in his identity as a
physician and devastating critique of turn-of-the-century medical practices and
ideologies.

Seeing Chekhov is essential reading for students of Russian literature, devotees of
the short story and modern drama, and anyone interested in the intersection of
literature, psychology, and medicine.