Na zdorov'e

Elena Boudovskaia eboudovs at HUMNET.UCLA.EDU
Wed May 18 15:16:07 UTC 2005

Na zdorov'e is not a toast, its' what you answer when someone says to you
Spasibo!

I wonder why all non-Russian speakers think it's a toast? A reminiscence
from a film somewhere from the 40s  maybe, depicting war-time friendship? Or
from the 50s, about Russian spies? Definitely it's not Russian, whichever
the source.

Real toasts are many (probably there are collections of them somewhere on
the Internet too). Some of the common ones are: Za vashe zdorov'e; Budem
zdorovy (or just Budem); simpler ones like Nu davai or Poexali; and the
famous one from Bulgakov's Sobach'e serdce: Zhelaiu, chtoby vse! (ili:
chtoby vsio; the word-final e allows two readings, and Bulgakov never told
us which one he meant).

Regards,

Elena