Michael Denner mdenner at STETSON.EDU
Thu May 19 20:04:54 UTC 2005

My earlier message was cut off halfway through for some reason. Here it is again (hopefully in its entirety):

Fellow Listers!

I believe Genevra's comment refers back to a discussion we had here on SEELANGS (February-March 2004) where we debated the usage. I believe it started with this email:

**

[SEELANGS] Toasts

From: Raul MacDiarmid <raul_macdiarmid at WEB.DE>

To: SEELANGS at LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU

Date: Feb 27 2004 - 4:23pm

Can someone explain the contrasting use of "na" and "za"

in drinking toasts, as in for example: "Na zdorov'e" vs "za zdorov'e"?

Thank you

**

The general consensus was that Russians *always* said "за здоровье" (a consensus born out by any number of Russian grammar books).

I'm sure Genevra's report is true... So, now, educated people (at least those on the Volga) are saying на здоровье and not, as one would expect parallel to e.g., за прекрасных дам.

During that conversation, Alina Israeli pointed out one possibility:

If they say "na zdorov'e" while drinking, they are mimicking the use of this phrase while eating (and obviously mocking it), which roughly means 'it's good for you' which is usually a reply to a thank you at or after the meal. This mocking use implies that drinking is good for you.

Perhaps that ironic use has now infected common vernacular and lost its irony.

mad

()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()

Dr. Michael A. Denner

Editor, Tolstoy Studies Journal