OCR today?

David Powelstock pstock at BRANDEIS.EDU
Sat May 21 21:27:42 UTC 2005

I second Paul's satisfaction with Finereader 7, although my experience with
and OCR in general is not nearly as extensive as his.  I did use Finereader
to scan my entire book ms. (PDF combining English and Russian) into a Word
document for indexing, and it did so brilliantly.  Almost no recognition
errors, and it did a pretty good job of retaining the format.

For a reviews and a comparison of it and OmniPage go here:
http://reviews-zdnet.com.com/4540-3523_16-30571456-4.html?tag=tab.

I'm reasonably sure that you can get 30-day trial versions of both programs,
too.

Regards,
David
(Powelstock)