OCR today?

Karla Huebner karlahuebner at COMPUSERVE.COM
Sun May 22 12:21:45 UTC 2005

I too would be interested in a good comparison of Omnipage and FineReader,
as I have Omnipage and am wondering whether I should switch to FineReader.
I have lots of PDF files, mainly in Czech, that I would like to run OCR on
to make the text searchable and highlightable in Acrobat (since Acrobat's
Paper Capture feature doesn't offer Czech as an option).

Most of my PDF files were created in one of two ways: 1) photocopies were
fed through an HP Document Sender or 2) I photographed the pages with my
digital camera and imported the images into Acrobat. Therefore, these files
have some quirks and Omnipage was extremely slow and troubled by the one
short article I fed it, although it is capable of doing a decent job on
Czech if given a very clean, straight copy.

Karla Huebner
University of Pittsburgh