Question re "Ubei presidenta"

Elena Gapova e.gapova at WORLDNET.ATT.NET
Wed May 25 14:54:35 UTC 2005

Dear all,

I have a question "inspired" by the poem "Ubei presidenta" by the Belarusian poet Slavamir Adamovich. After its publication (1996) the author was arrested and spent about 10 months in prison, accused, id i am not mistaken, of "prizyv k nasiliyu" (article 182 of the "ugolovnyi kodeks"). After his release, the poet "provel aktsiyu "zashityi rot" (1997), protesting against the assault on the freedom of speech in Belarus.

The poem is below. I am interested how this (or similar) text would be "dealt with" in liberal democracy: most propbaably, would there be public discussion, or legal action (taking into account the topic of the poem and what it actually calls for), or nothing at all? My question is more about if there is anything in the law re such texts, than  general implications of the first amendment.

e.g.

Славамір Адамовіч

УБЕЙ ПРЕЗИДЕНТА

Убей эту сволочь, которая