Question re "Ubei presidenta"

Richard Robin rrobin at GWU.EDU
Fri May 27 13:17:14 UTC 2005

What's interesting is that in Russia, crtainly no longer a country that
aspires to be a liberal emocracy, nothing untowards seems to have happened
to the members of the band Underwood which released a hit song (with tons of
air play), Pokusites' na prezidenta, a little over a year ago. The entire
lyrics are at http://www.miditext.ru/lyrics/ru/01/pokusites.html, but lines
that are clearly related to Putin are cited below. I can't begin to imagine
the handwringing (and actions taken under the Patriot Act) if a song with
similar lyrics and clear references to the American president made the top
ten on the American charts.

-Rich Robin

Покуситесь на президента,
У него тёплый взгляд и улыбка,