Financial Aid Available

Charles Gribble gribble.3 at OSU.EDU
Sun Oct 2 22:08:54 UTC 2005

The Department of Slavic and East European Languages and Literatures at The
Ohio State University in Columbus, Ohio, which offers the M.A. and Ph.D.
degrees with specialization in Russian Literature or Slavic Linguistics,
announces the availability of financial support for qualified new graduate
students in the 2006-2007 academic year.

OSU and our Department offer Graduate Associateships, University
Fellowships, Foreign Language and Area Studies Title VI Fellowships, and
other financial aid.  GA and UF awards are open to students from all
countries. Both incoming and continuing graduate students are eligible for
up to five years of financial support.  Well-prepared Graduate Teaching
Associates regularly teach courses in the Russian, Czech, Polish, Romanian,
and Serbo-Croatian languages, Russian literature and Russian culture on the
undergraduate level, and occasionally teach other courses, such as Polish
or Czech or Balkan Slavic literature and film for undergraduates, and the
Bulgarian and Ukrainian languages.  All new GTAs take a two-week training
seminar before classes begin and receive further teacher training and
education throughout the school year. Each year OSU gives a total of ten
Graduate Teaching Awards among the 3,400 GTAs throughout the entire
University. In a recent year our Department's GTAs won two of the ten, and
another GTA won one of ten Graduate Student Leadership Awards. A
Departmental atmosphere of mutual respect and assistance between faculty
and graduate students contributes to the teaching success of our GTAs.  The
mentoring and training our GTAs receive have contributed strongly to an
excellent record of postgraduate placement in academic jobs for our Ph.D.s.

The OSU Department of Slavic and East European Languages and Literatures is
part of a major University-wide program in Slavic and East European
Studies, with faculty in many fields, including Geography, History, History
of Art, International Studies, Law, Linguistics, Music, Political Science,
Sociology, Theater, and Yiddish Language and Literature. The program is
supported by a very strong research library, with over 1,000,000 titles in
Slavic and East European Studies, as well as the world's largest repository
of medieval Slavic texts on microfilm.  The cost of living in Columbus is
moderate, and the city is easily accessible from almost anywhere in the USA
and abroad.

The application deadline for international students who wish to be
considered for University Fellowships is November 30, 2005, and for GTA
consideration it is January 15, 2006.  The deadline for domestic students
is Jan. 15 for all awards.  Applications for admission received after
January 15 may be considered if spaces are available. Electronic
applications are required; go to http//www.gradapply.osu.edu.

For additional information on applying, see
http//www.gradsch.ohio-state.edu.  Note that international applicants must
take and pass the TOEFL exam before they can be admitted to the Graduate
School.  GRE exams are required from all applicants.

  For more information on the Department, our academic programs, faculty,
current students, application procedures and deadlines, go to our web site,
http//www.slavic.osu.edu.  The Graduate Student Handbook (on that web site)
contains detailed information.

In case of questions write to:

Charles E. Gribble