Aleksandr Pavlovich Chudakov Has Died in Moscow From Head Wounds Sustained in a Beating

Timothy D. Sergay tsergay at COLUMBUS.RR.COM
Wed Oct 5 02:46:50 UTC 2005

Dear Colleagues:

I have just learned that Aleksandr Pavlovich Chudakov has been beaten to
death by one or more street thugs. He has died of head injuries in Moscow at
the age of 67. This was reported on Radio Liberty's Russian-language service
in an item dated October 4, 2005
(http://www.svoboda.org/ll/cult/1005/ll.100405-3.asp). The item features
some personal remarks by Donald Rayfield. No more seems to be known at this
point, and I have not yet seen any other English- or Russian-language
reporting on the incident.

It is not for me to formulate here the magnitude of this loss to Slavic
studies and Russian literature; this list is monitored by people with far
longer personal histories with Sasha than I can claim. The news of his death
came to me early only because of my work on Chudakov's single, sparkling
novel, Lozhitsia mgla na starye stupeni, which I am currently translating
into English.

Tim Sergay