Graduate Study in Contemporary Russian Literature and Culture

David J Birnbaum djbpitt+seelangs at PITT.EDU
Thu Oct 6 23:45:37 UTC 2005

Graduate Study in Contemporary Russian Literature and Culture

The Slavic Department at the University of Pittsburgh invites applications
to our MA/PhD program in Russian literature and culture. While our
department provides a full range of courses, our focus on contemporary
studies has supported recent dissertations on such topics as Soviet
postmodernist culture, Russian feminist theory, the Soviet anekdot,
television serials, and Thaw cinema. All PhD recipients in the past ten
years have received academic job offers or prestigious post-doctoral
fellowships.

Graduate students obtain extensive training and mentoring and they
participate regularly in international conferences even at a relatively
early stage. They may also help organize the annual Russian Film Symposium
(http://www.rusfilm.pitt.edu) or edit and publish the Department's journal,
Studies in Slavic Cultures (http://www.pitt.edu/~slavic/sisc/). Alongside
their primary course of study within the Department, graduate students also
typically obtain MA or PhD certificates in any of several interdepartmental
programs, including Cultural Studies (http://www.pitt.edu/~cultural/), Film
Studies (http://www.pitt.edu/~filmst/), Russian and East European Studies
(http://www.ucis.pitt.edu/crees/), and Women's Studies
(http://www.pitt.edu/~wstudies/). By the time they receive their PhD,
students will typically have obtained teaching experience in culture,
cinema, language, and literature courses in both team-taught and
stand-alone formats.

Financial aid (non-teaching fellowships and teaching assistantships) is
available to qualified applicants. The application deadline is 15 January
for full support consideration; applications will be accepted until 1
February. Applications must be submitted electronically at
https://app.applyyourself.com/?id=up-as .

For more information about academic programs, faculty, students, alumni,
application procedures, and deadlines see http://www.pitt.edu/~slavic/ . In
case of questions, please write to: Christine Metil, Administrative
Assistant, metil at pitt.edu; Professor Nancy Condee, Director of Graduate
Studies, condee at pitt.edu; or Professor David J. Birnbaum, Chair,
djbpitt at pitt.edu.

Department of Slavic Languages and Literatures
1417 Cathedral of Learning
University of Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh, PA 15260 USA
Tel: 1-412-624-5712