FSI language ratings

Karla Huebner karlahuebner at COMPUSERVE.COM
Thu Oct 13 07:11:59 UTC 2005

Sorry, I initially sent this only to Dr. Goering...

This is wandering a bit off topic, but I recall that some time ago this
list had some discussion of the ratings, with links to documents about it
all. I found it quite interesting, and was intrigued that the ratings are
pretty much for how easy it is to attain an initial level of competency,
rather than how easy it is to become really fluent and near-native. Does
anyone know if there is research that gives some idea of the relative
difficulty in the more advanced stages of language learning? Or are most
languages just difficult to "master" once the learner is beyond the basics?

Karla Huebner
University of Pittsburgh