Etymology of Russian "sorok"?

John Dingley jdingley at YORKU.CA
Mon Oct 17 21:22:20 UTC 2005

Hi,

Prof. Keenan is probably on the right track. Here is what I recently
wrote on the subject in connexion with Scandinavian loanwords found
in Russian:

It is just possible that the highly mysterious "sorok" derives
ultimately from the Old Scandinavian "serkr", which meant "a certain
number of hides or pelts" or "a sack in which pelts were stored".
Possibly the pelts were stored in forties or perhaps it took forty
pelts to make a coat. The word seems connected with the Russian word
"sorochka", meaning a "shirt", the Old Swedish word "särk", also
meaning a "shirt", and additionally the Scottish word "sark",
meaning a "chemise". The Scottish word "sark" found immortal fame in
the poem by Robbie Burns called Tam o'Shanter, telling of the beautiful
young witch Nannie, who always wore a "cutty sark", meaning in standard
English a "short chemise". Later, one of the most celebrated clipper
ships, the "Cutty Sark", launched in 1870, was named in honour of
Burns's Nannie, who is, to boot, the ship's figurehead. But, truth to
tell, nobody really knows where the enigmatic "sorok" comes from. The
word is first recorded in "Russkaja Pravda" from 1282 and then goes on
to supplant the earlier and expected form "cetyredcat'". The word is
also found in Belorussian (sorak) and Ukrainian (sorok), where it is,
like Russian, the standard word for forty.

http://www.figureheads.com/cutty/nannie.html

But Tam kent what was what fu' brawlie:
There was ae whinsome wench and waulie
That night enlisted in the core,
Lang after ken'd on Carrick shore;
(For mony a beast to dead she shot,
And perish'd mony a bonie boat,
And shook baith meikle corn and bear,
And kept the country-side in fear);
Her cutty sark, o' Paisley harn,
That while a lassie she had worn,
In longitude tho' sorely scanty,
It was her best, and she was vauntie.
Ah! little ken'd thy reverend grannie,
That sark she coft for her wee Nannie,
whi twa pund Scots ('twas a' her riches),
Wad ever grac'd a dance of whitches!

John Dingley

http://dlll.yorku.ca/jding.html