Stalinka Revisited

Daniel Rancour-Laferriere darancourlaferriere at COMCAST.NET
Tue Oct 18 05:44:12 UTC 2005

17 Oct. 05

Dear Colleagues,
This afternoon at UC Berkeley I attended a lecture by Prof. Mark
Lipovetsky of the University of Colorado, Boulder, on the topic
"Strategies of Violence in Soviet Culture: Mythical and Divine."  I will
not attempt to summarize the contents of this interesting scholarly
lecture, which was delivered with considerable style and verve.  As can
be guessed from the title, however, the topic had the potential to
provoke some emotional distress in listeners, especially those listeners
among the thirty or so people in the room who had survived Soviet
violence (or who were close to said survivors, or who were just very
involved in the study of violence in Soviet Russia).

After the lecture some questions came up which, although politely
formulated, indicated that some emotional distress had in fact been
provoked - for example, "are you not perhaps aestheticizing violence?"
This was apropos of Lipovetsky's talk of "the discourse of violence" in
certain literary works by Babel, Kharms, Zamiatin, and others, and his
references to theories of discourse promoted by postmodernist
theoreticians such as Derrida and Foucault.  What came next however, was
an assertion that we can view the "discursive practices" of Vyshinsky on
the same level as those of Mayakovsky, Babel, Zoshchenko....

Say what?  That's right, Vyshinsky's performances at the show trials are
in the same discursive field with the performances of Mayakovsky,
Zoshchenko, etc.  This sociopath, Procurator General Andrei Vyshinsky
(1883-1954), sent countless human beings to their deaths with his
"discursive practices."  Real people died real deaths because of him.  I
doubt that any real people died real deaths as a result of, say, the
"shows" put on by Vladimir Mayakovsky (excluding his suicide).

To place Vyshinsky and other Soviet political monsters like Stalin
(remember Groys) in the same category with Babel, Zoshchenko,
Mayakovsky, Zamyatin - is what philosophers would call a category
error.  Or, if that seems an insufficient explanation, consider this
analogy: to conflate the "discursive practices" of Vyshinsky and
Mayakovsky is like confusing a snuff film with a film acted by
professional actors.

Yes, it's the "Stalinka" problem all over again: foregrounding of the
properties of discourse at the expense of human feelings (and by the
way, the builders of that web site have STILL not offered us a
justification for its name).

A more general topic for potentially productive discussion on SEELANGS:
is it possible to continue the development of postmodernist theorizing
about Russia without realistic regard for the massive traumatization and
massive killings of human beings in Russia during the twentieth
century?  I wish some of the postmodernist theoreticians on this list
would stop lurking, would come out and explain to us old-fashioned
philologists (and psychoanalysts) why postmodernist theorizing should be
retained.  I am willing to change my mind if there are some interesting
and convincing arguments put forth.

Best regards to the list,

Daniel Rancour-Laferriere
Emeritus Professor of Russian