More on R. sorok/ Gr. sarakonta

Peter Scotto pscotto at MTHOLYOKE.EDU
Tue Oct 18 14:56:46 UTC 2005

Here's something from one of my colleagues in the MHC classics department - to
throw into the mix:

Peter:

The classical Greek word for 40 is "tessarakonta," so the "sarakonta," which
was in your dictionary, is a shortened version of that. But I don't know
whether there is a good linguistic explanation for the shortened
version, or precisely how the word evolved from classical to medieval Greek.

Peter Scotto
Mount Holyoke College

P.S. Thanks so much to all who responded. I really appreciate your time and
generosity.