Russian/Soviet Films on the Cold War

Lilya Kaganovsky lilya at UIUC.EDU
Tue Oct 18 15:16:38 UTC 2005

A couple more titles that may be of interest:

1. Zagovor obrechionnykh [Conspiracy of the Doomed], 1950, dir.
Kalatozov ( Kalatozishvili)

2. Farewell, America, 1949, dir. Dovzhenko
may not be available, but has a wonderful description (courtesy of
imdb):

Plot Summary for Farewell, America (1949)

Anna Bedford, a young and idealistic girl from Pennsylvania, accepts a
State Department assignment to serve in the US Embassy in Moscow
shortly after the allied victory over fascist Germany. Immediately upon
her arrival at the new post, she discovers that virtually the entire
staff at the embassy is engaged either in espionage or in slandering
and vilifying the Soviet state. Her open-minded approach to Soviet
reality quickly brings her into conflict with her superiors, who send
her back to the States to attend her mother's funeral. While back in
Pennsylvania, Anna discovers a changed America, plagued with massive
unemployment and hatred fueled by anti-communist hysteria. Even death
provides no escape from this national insanity: the cemetery where her
mother is buried is plowed under in order to build a new military air
base. The film was to end with Anna's return to Moscow, embraced by the
masses of the Soviet people and marching with them across Red Square.
Work on the film was terminated in April 1951 (under instructions from
the Kremlin).

Finally, there are some war-time American movies that are worth
including for their over-the-top love of the USSR:

3. Mission to Moscow, 1943, dir. Michael Curtiz
(not the Police Academy one)

I would also recommend Brat 2 as a (post) Cold war film.

-LK

On Oct 17, 2005, at 8:49 PM, Alina Israeli wrote:

>> I can recomend Savva Kulish's "Mertvyj sezon" with Donatas Banionis &
>> Rolan Bykov.
>
> Another counter-espionage film of similar ilk and similar period
> (although
> the intrigue was different) was "Rokirovka v dlinnuju storonu" with
> Alexander Dem'janenko and Pavel Luspekaev. One of the early films with
> love
> and implied sex.
>
> __________________________
>  Alina Israeli
>  LFS, American University
>  4400 Mass. Ave., NW
>  Washington, DC 20016
>
>  phone:    (202) 885-2387
>  fax:      (202) 885-1076

> --

Lilya Kaganovsky, Assistant Professor
Program in Comparative Literature & World Literature
Department of Slavic Languages and Literature
Unit for Cinema Studies
http://www.complit.uiuc.edu/lilya/index.html