Stalinka Revisited

Tony Anemone aaanem at WM.EDU
Wed Oct 19 13:47:54 UTC 2005

I for one am very uncomfortable with the recent trend towards postings
that ask (expect? demand?)  that scholars provide "justifications" for
ideas which might cause "some emotional distress" to their audience? It
reminds me of other fora in which people are forced to acknowledgment
errors, mistakes, a lack of appropriate sensitivity to others' feelings
or sufficient respect for  political  shibboleths, etc.  All this reeks
of "samokritika," and, needless to say, has nothing to do with true
scholarly debate.

Tony Anemone