Discourses of Violence (Girard)

Rimgaila Salys Salys at BUFFMAIL.COLORADO.EDU
Wed Oct 19 15:05:45 UTC 2005

Bob, I was referring to Rene Girard's Violence and the Sacred, which argues
that violence is an essential manifestation of the sacred, a way traditional
societies achieve transcendence, and that this violence is often expressed
through sacrifice. The sacrifice of victims/scapegoats purifies the
community
and, just as importantly, unifies it.  Think of Pavlichenko's apprehension
of
life, "really getting to know it," through trampling his master, or Lyutov's
sacrifice of the goose, the cossacks sitting like heathen idols, their
invitation to Lyutov at the end and so on. But please look at the Girard
book
rather than going by my superficial summary.

Mark Lipovetsky, who is the expert here, is interested in the application of
these and related ideas to Stalinist discourses (which themselves used and
encouraged mythic referents) as a way of deconstructing--not justifying--
Terror.

                                                    Best, Rima S.