Stalinka Revisited

Dennis Ioffe sinkell at mail.ru
Wed Oct 19 20:44:07 UTC 2005

Just a very quick response to Professors' Rancour-Laferriere - Mark Lipovetsky polemics,
Of course we, those who did not attend in person the lecture itself are naturally not in a perfect position to undertake any seriously articulated judgment,
but just to comment on Professor Rancour-Laferriere's remark that:
> >  This sociopath, Procurator General Andrei Vyshinsky
> > (1883-1954), sent countless human beings to their deaths with his
> > "discursive practices."  Real people died real deaths because of him.  I
> > doubt that any real people died real deaths as a result of, say, the
> > "shows" put on by Vladimir Mayakovsky (excluding his suicide).

My comment would be extremely brief: please recollect such Mayakovsky's texts as  LEVYI MARSH" - what is the immediate content of it? If not a straight call to some sort of 'natural' physical violence  vashe slovo tovarich mauzer", then what is such a call?
Let us also not forget Mayakovsky's friend-circle (Agranov and Co). Is there any difference between Agranov (remember the Gumilev's affair and his sinister role in it) and Vyshinsky?
I strongly believe that Mayakovsky's oeuvre has very much to do with the (Soviet)  discourse of violence" and, therefore, Vyshinsky's notorious speeches may seem not at all irrelevant here.

Daniil Kharms, however, is a completely different  story', which should be somehow mildly separated from the topic of  Soviet violence", may be on the grounds that the OBERIU-fellows were not really a definite part of  Soviet poetry par excellence' (in a sense that Mayakovsky was).

Kind regards to the list,
--
Dennis Ioffe
Doctoral Fellow