In Memoriam: Leon I. Twarog

Smorodinskaya, Tatiana tsmorodi at MIDDLEBURY.EDU
Tue Oct 25 18:35:37 UTC 2005

Dr. Leon Twarog's energy, effort and support made Slavic collection at
OSU Library to be one of the best in the country.
Vechnaia emu pamiat'.
Tatiana Smorodinska

-----Original Message-----
From: Slavic & East European Languages and Literature list
[mailto:SEELANGS at LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU] On Behalf Of Charles Townsend
Sent: Tuesday, October 25, 2005 2:30 PM
To: SEELANGS at LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU
Subject: Re: [SEELANGS] In Memoriam: Leon I. Twarog

Daniel,

	Leon was also the instigator and manager of a government funded

individualized instruction program which resulted in the creation in
the 1980s of self-instructional textbooks for most of the Slavic
languages; they were published, as I recall, in the Ohio State
University Slavic Papers (that title may be wrong).  I think that was a

very important contribution.  Leon did a lot of useful things for our
profession and was very pleasant to work with.

	Charles E. Townsend
	Professor Emeritus of Slavic Languages and Literatures
	Princeton University