Pushkin quote, "Kakov ia prezhde byl"

Timothy D. Sergay tsergay at COLUMBUS.RR.COM
Wed Oct 26 14:51:36 UTC 2005

With greetings to Paul and all colleagues on SEELANGS:

An English translation of "Kakov ia prezhde byl" (mid-Sept. to early
November, 1826) is available, it's by Babette Deutsche:

The man I was of old, that man I still remain:
Lighthearted, soon in love. You know, my friends, 'tis vain
To think I can behold the fair without elation,
And timid tenderness and secret agitation.
Has love not played with me and teased me quite enough?
In Cytherea's nets, wrought of such sturdy stuff,
Like a young hawk have I not struggled long and striven?
Unchastened by the pangs whereby I have been driven,
Unto new idols I my old entreaties bring...

Source:
The Complete Works of Alexander Pushkin, Volume Three: Lyric Poems,
1826-1836. Downham Market, Norfolk: Milner and Company; Distributed by
Charles Schlacks, Jr., Publisher, 1999. Page 34. (NB: there are a
significant number of garbled readings of Pushkin in the translations newly
commissioned for these volumes.)

I don't see any extrametrical unstressed syllable in the Russian at the
beginning, by the way.

Tim Sergay