Russian verbs: From /a/ to /aj/

Tore Nesset nesset at EMAIL.UNC.EDU
Fri Sep 2 18:20:18 UTC 2005

Dear colleagues,

it is well known that some Russian verbs with the underlying suffix /a/
tend to shift to the productive class of verbs with the suffix /aj/. For
instance, verbs like kapat’ ‘drip’ and murlykat’ ‘purr’ have developed
secondary present tense forms like kapaet and murlykaet in addition to
kaplet and murlychet. The basic facts are described in most major
grammars, but I am not aware of any in-depth studies of this phenomenon
in Russian or other Slavic languages. I would be very grateful if
anybody out there could help me identify such studies.

Best regards,
Tore Nesset