Stalin movies

John Dunn J.Dunn at SLAVONIC.ARTS.GLA.AC.UK
Mon Sep 5 10:51:38 UTC 2005

You may wish to consider the cycle of films (5 in all, I believe) that appeared under the collective title 'Osvobozhdenie' at the beginnning of the 1970s.  Though they cover only the last two years of the war, they are noteworthy, I understand, for marking the first fictionalised depiction of Stalin after the de-Stalinisation campaigns of the late 1950s and early 1960s.  I didn't see the whole series (and it is a long time ago), but my recollection is that Stalin is depicted in 'Uncle Joe' mode, with great play being made of the difference between the ways in which Hitler and Stalin interact with their generals.

John Dunn.

-----Original Message-----
From: Stephanie Sures <sdsures at HOTMAIL.COM>
To: SEELANGS at LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2005 11:54:12 -0400
Subject: [SEELANGS] Stalin movies

Can anyone recommend a few good films, in Russian or English (drama rather
than documentary) dealing with Stalin's life, rise to power, and his role in
the Second World War?

The only film I am aware of is one HBO film starring Robert Duvall. I
disliked it because I felt Duvall was trying too hard to play a part that
just wasn't right for that actor's personality. The five layers of
painfully-obvious make-up to make Duvall resemble Stalin were also a turn-off.

Spasibo!
Stephanie Sures

John Dunn
SMLC (Slavonic Studies)