Robert Maguire

Michael S. Flier flier at FAS.HARVARD.EDU
Mon Sep 5 16:26:16 UTC 2005

Dear Cathy,

This is probably too late, but here are a few quick thoughts about Bob, in
case there is still time to include them:

Bob Maguire was an amazing combination of intelligence and wit.  It was
always a joy to be in his company.  I never taught with him as a colleague
(he was on leave during my visiting appointment to Columbia in the fall of
1988---in fact, I was housed in his office), but I tried to make time to
see him whenever Pat and I were in the City, usually over dinner and
possibly including a Broadway show. Inevitably he would arrive off the
subway with a German novel in hand, doing all that he could to keep his
German active in light of the considerable time he spent with Russian texts.

He was a superb translator from Russian and Polish, fascinated by the
intricacies of language and style.  He was a meticulous editor, who
generously devoted his time to edit two collections of articles published
as American contributions to the International Congress of Slavists.  His
original research on early Soviet literature and on Gogol stands out for
its insight, balanced perspective, and humor.

Bob was a great conversationalist at dinner, demonstrating erudition in all
manner of subjects, from world literature to art, from history to music.  A
first-class violist and an inveterate opera queen, Bob was the first person
you would consult for recommendations on recordings of classical music,
especially opera.  Bob was a wonderful raconteur and reveled in jokes and
anecdotes, especially those told in a foreign accent.  His Russian
impressions were unsurpassed.

And he loved to talk.  To get on the phone with Bob was to commit yourself
to at least one hour of conversation, but what an hour!  By the time you
were through, you had laughed, argued, reminisced, and speculated about
everything under the sun.  I will truly miss his bright smile and wicked
laugh. New York will never be the same.

Cheers,

Michael

At 11:02 AM 8/27/2005, you wrote:
>We are putting together a small booklet of tributes to/reminiscences of
>Robert Maguire to have on hand the day of his memorial service (Sept. 15).
>If any of you who worked with him (or simply knew and cared for him) have
>anything
>to contribute that you think should be known and remembered about him,
>please send
>me a few lines by Sept. 2.
>
>Thank you.
>The details of the service are repeated below.
>
>Cathy Popkin
>

>There will be a memorial service for Robert Maguire in New York on
>Thursday, September 15, 2005, beginning with a requiem mass at the Church
>of Notre Dame (Morningside Drive and W. 114th St.) at 9:45 a.m., followed
>by a service at St. Paul's Chapel (on the Columbia Campus) at 11:00 a.m.
>The Slavic Department and the Harriman Institute will be hosting an
>informal gathering afterward.  I hope that the many of you who have
>written to express your sadness and to inquire about a memorial will be
>able to attend.

PROF. MICHAEL S. FLIER
Oleksandr Potebnja Professor of Ukrainian Philology

Department of Slavic Languages and Literatures
Harvard University
Barker Center, 12 Quincy Street
Cambridge, MA 02138

TEL.    (617) 495-4065 [Slavic Department]
TEL.    (617) 495-4054 [Linguistics Department]
TEL.    (617) 495-4053 [Ukrainian Research Institute]
FAX     (617) 945-2168 [private]
WEB     http://www.fas.harvard.edu/~slavic/faculty/michael_flier.html