A Russian Proverb

Daniel Rancour-Laferriere darancourlaferriere at COMCAST.NET
Tue Sep 6 19:01:49 UTC 2005

6 September 05

Dear colleagues,
I thank you all for your suggestions on how to translate Dahl's proverb
Бог жив, жива душа моя ("Bog zhiv, zhiva dusha moia").

Now, the reason I asked the question was that I needed to decide whether
the proverb would make an appropriate epigraph for a chapter of my book
in progress titled _Tolstoy's Quest for God_.  In Tolstoy's _Confession_
(1879-1882), you may recall, Lev Nikolaevich cannot make up his mind
about whether God exists or not.  It seems that, when he is feeling very
good, God does exist; but when he is feeling depressed and suicidal, God
does not exist.  In other words, the question of the existence of God is
framed in terms of Lev Nikolaevich's alternation of (hypo)manic and
depressive states (in DSM IV this is termed  Bipolar II Disorder).

Since there is some disagreement on how to translate the proverb, and
since this disagreement is connected with the unresolved question of
whether God's existence (and the soul's existence) is finite or not,
then I conclude that the proverb will make a perfect epigraph for a
chapter on the unresolved question of God's infinite existence in
_Confession_.

By the way, the question was eventually resolved in favor of God's
infinite existence as Tolstoy grew older and came to believe in a
pantheistic God.

And I welcome any comments on these conclusions.

Best regards to the list,

Daniel Rancour-Laferriere
Emeritus Professor of Russian
University of California, Davis