Bachelor or Baccalaureate

Michael Denner mdenner at STETSON.EDU
Wed Sep 7 13:32:04 UTC 2005

I don't want to muddy the waters here more than they're already muddied (though John's flying pigs might appreciate the muck):

First, I'm not accustomed to the phrase бакалавриат -- I assume it's of recent coinage. Though a search of Google turns the word up, it seems to refer not to the degree but to the program. Someone correct me if I'm mistaken, but typically, when they're referenced in Russian media, I have seen the graduates of five-year programs in Russian universities referred to as having obtained their бакалавр or степень бакалавра -- not "bakalavriat/bakalavrskaja stepen'"

The usage of baccalaureate in the US: In the South at least, baccalaureate is used interchangeably to refer 1) a bachelor's degree, and I agree with John that the term is forced and awkward and a sure sign of pretension; 2) the religious service that precedes graduation from university (we don't call it graduation, by the way, but the much grander Commencement); 3) most commonly, baccalaureate refers to a secondary-school degree in the US, International Baccalaureate, which is a sort of parallel education for "gifted" students.

In short, avoid the word baccalaureate as a translation.

Of course, the whole situation gets muddier, since very often I've heard Russians claim (and seen it as so translated on official documents) that the five-year program that results in a степень бакалавра is, in fact, best translated as a Master's Degree, not as a Bachelor's, owing to its length and greater specialization. I believe we had a, let's say, lively discussion of the matter 3 years ago here on SEELANGS.

mad

()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()
Dr. Michael A. Denner
Editor, Tolstoy Studies Journal