Bachelor or Baccalaureate

Deborah Hoffman lino59 at AMERITECH.NET
Wed Sep 7 18:25:23 UTC 2005

I'm sure you'll get a lot of answers to this, but in
the US "bachelor's degree" and "baccalaureate" are
synonymous, except "baccalaureate" is a higher
register and can sound pretentious if used in less
formal circumstances.  The one you choose will
probably depend on your target audience, since as
you point out a baccalaureate in France has a
different meaning.
Hope this helps,

> > ------------------------------
> >
> > Date:    Wed, 7 Sep 2005 15:13:26 +0400
> > From:    Konstantin Dibrova <dibrova_k at MAIL.RU>
> > Subject: Bachelor or Baccalaureate
> >
> > Dear SEELANGers,
> >
> > Working on a text-book for The Next Generation
> TOEFL
> > I found myself puzzled by the term  Baccalaureate
> > degree" compared to and with  Bachelor's degree".
> My
> > sources give vague and contradictory definitions:
> > Baccalaureate degree: The degree of "bachelor"
> > conferred upon graduates of most U.S. colleges and
> > universities.

Deborah Hoffman
Finance Chair, Graduate Student Senate
Modern and Classical Language Studies