The Brothers K

Joseph Troncale MD JTroncale at CARONFOUNDATION.ORG
Thu Sep 8 14:25:10 UTC 2005

Thanks very much!

-----Original Message-----
From: Slavic & East European Languages and Literature list
[mailto:SEELANGS at LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU]On Behalf Of Jack Kollmann
Sent: Wednesday, September 07, 2005 8:05 PM
To: SEELANGS at LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU
Subject: Re: [SEELANGS] The Brothers K

Unbegaun ("Russian Surnames") says accent is on "ma." In practice, the
possessor of the name (or, in this case, Dostoevsky?) is the final
authority for himself.  The surname "Ivanov," for example, usually accents
the final syllable, but some holders of the name, including the famous
19th-c. artist, accent the second syllable.  Unbegaun's 2nd chapter, "Form,
Stress, and Declension," is full of interesting stuff, including a 2nd
section on names ending in "-ov/-ev."
Jack Kollmann