Russian tricolor

Peter Morley pjmmyev at MAIL.WPLUS.NET
Fri Sep 9 10:34:06 UTC 2005

A Vesti report on Russia Day, 2003, explained the significance of the colours in the tricolore in some detail. The video is available online at http://www.vesti.ru/video.html?vid=23354. Still photos can be found at: http://www.vesti.ru/photo.html?type=comments&doc_id=21940

I wrote a termpaper on this last year. Following is an extract:

"[...]Where once party members were arranged in formation to spell out the initials of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union, now lines of people are strung across Red Square dressed in red, white, and blue, creating a human version of the state flag. The composition of the lines is in itself interesting. The blue line (the colour symbolising faith and hope) was made up of students from Moscow educational institutions, ?athletes, ballroom-dancers, and gymnasts? who performed in front of the guests. The white line was made up of representatives from all 89 of the constituent regions that comprise the Russian Federation; the colour originally symbolising purity and nobility and today, according to the Vesti announcer, representing ?the unity of the peoples living in our country?. For this line, a newly commissioned work by composer David Tukhmanov based on folk tunes from across Russia was played. This line was rounded out by delegations from St. Petersburg and Moscow; the St. Petersburg delegation appeared in historical costumes ? ?symbolising changes of eras? ? dating from the early years of imperial Russia up to the present day. Finally, to the accompaniment of Soviet military marches, came the red line, symbolising ?great-power status? [derzhavnost], which unsurprisingly was made up by the military, both those actually serving and those studying in military academies ? as well as some representatives from the Ministry of Emergency Situations. The organisers called this part of the show a ?gala defile? [paradnoe defile]. There then followed the presidential fanfare, and a speech by Vladimir Putin.[...]"

Peter Morley
European University at St. Petersburg

Friday, September 9, 2005, 9:32:14 AM, you wrote:

> Can anyone explain the origins and general significance of the Russian national flag?

> Thank you,

> RM

---

Email: