Russian tricolor

VANCHU, ANTHONY J. (JSC-AH) (TTI) anthony.j.vanchu1 at JSC.NASA.GOV
Fri Sep 9 13:18:38 UTC 2005

I'm confused here.  If Dutch and Russian stripes are HORIZONTAL, how can it
be that tunrning them upside down gives you the French flag?  The French
flag, last I checked on Google, two minutes ago, has VERTICAL stripes that
are blue, white, and red (going from left to right).

Tony Vanchu

Dr. Anthony J. Vanchu
Director, JSC Language Education Center
TechTrans International, Inc.
NASA Johnson Space Center
Houston, TX
Phone:  (281) 483-0644
Fax:  (281) 483-4050

-----Original Message-----
From: Slavic & East European Languages and Literature list
[mailto:SEELANGS at LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU] On Behalf Of Alina Israeli
Sent: Friday, September 09, 2005 6:10 AM
To: SEELANGS at LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU
Subject: Re: [SEELANGS] Russian tricolor

>Robert K. Massie in "Peter the Great" tells the story: When Peter first
>saw his first ship, delivered by Dutch sailors and with the Dutch
>tricolor waving, he just loved it all and decided to use the same flag
>- just upside down !

Impossible! Dutch stripes are horizontal (so are Russian). If you turn it
upside down you get a French flag!

Russian is in different order and blue being ligher (goluboj).

 Alina Israeli
 LFS, American University
 4400 Mass. Ave., NW
 Washington, DC 20016