Figura umilchaniia

Petre Petrov petrov+ at PITT.EDU
Sun Sep 11 15:55:33 UTC 2005

The Latin term (derived from Greek, of course) is "aposiopesis." It refers
to the rhetorical gesture of stopping one's speech short and leaving an
utterance incomplete. I think the English rendition is simply "figure of
silence." In non-specialized context, Russians use "figura umolchaniia" to
refer to instances in which someone (say, in a news report) deliberately
leaves out an available piece of information.

PP

-----Original Message-----
From: Slavic & East European Languages and Literature list
[mailto:SEELANGS at LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU] On Behalf Of Vladimir Padunov
Sent: Saturday, September 10, 2005 6:21 PM
To: SEELANGS at LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU
Subject: [SEELANGS] Figura umilchaniia

Could someone please give me the English or Latin equivalent of the term in
rhetoric that corresponds to the Russian

FIGURA UMOLCHANIIA

Many thanks.

Vladimir Padunov

Vladimir Padunov
Associate Director, Film Studies Program
Department of Slavic Languages and Literatures
1433 Cathedral of Learning          voice: 1-412-624-5713
University of Pittsburgh               FAX: 1-412-624-9714
Pittsburgh, PA 15260                       padunov at pitt.edu

Russian Film Symposium        http://www.rusfilm.pitt.edu