Figura umolchaniia (fwd)

goscilo goscilo+ at PITT.EDU
Sun Sep 11 17:22:26 UTC 2005

Oops, sorry!  Forgot to send it to the list!

---------- Forwarded Message ----------r
Date: Saturday, September 10, 2005 6:40 PM -0400r
From: goscilo <goscilo at pitt.edu>r
To: ewb2 at cornell.edur
Subject: Re: [SEELANGS] Figura umolchaniiar

That's only so if one claims to pass over but does not, as in Mark Antony's
speech over Caesar's body in Shakespeare's play. Equally rhetorical but
genuinely "passing over" (omitting all commentary on an issue) is
occupatio/paralepsis/parasiopesis (the first, a Latin term; the last two,
obviously, Greek).  Only the context can tell which of these is pertinent.

Helena Goscilo

--On Saturday, September 10, 2005 6:33 PM -0400 E Wayles Browne
<ewb2 at CORNELL.EDU> wrote:r