Pan-Slavonic Exhibition St Petersburg 1904

John Tyrrell jtyrrell at SAQMAIL.NET
Tue Sep 13 19:02:37 UTC 2005

Dear SEELANGers
   Can anyone tell me about this non-event?  In the spring of 1903 the composer Leos Janacek was delegated to arrange the Moravian contribution to the Pan-Slavonic Exhibition in St Petersburg in 1904 and accordingly formed a committee.  They met on 9 May 1903.  And after that the trail goes cold.  There was no more activity from Janacek's committee, and no references in correspondence to suggest why.  Czech sources simply say that the exhibition didn't take place.  I'd like to know why (for a biography of Janacek) and if anything else is known about the putative exhibition.
      One might guess that the Russo-Japanese war might have had something to do with it, but that was 1904 - something must have happened by the summer of 1903.
   Many thanks
    John Tyrrell
    School of Music, Cardiff University, UK