Sorokin Ad Marginem Edition Photo

Andy Hicks ah69 at COLUMBIA.EDU
Thu Sep 15 02:17:57 UTC 2005

For a friend who is writing on fictional responses to September 11, 2001, I
would like to identify the subject of the cover photo of volume I in Ad
Marginem's 2002 Collected Works of Vladimir Sorokin.

Volume II depicts a mushroom cloud, while volume II depicts bodies falling
from the World Trade Center.  Volume I (the red cover) depicts fire
consuming a nineteenth- or early twentieth-century building.  Can anyone
help me to identify the occasion, decade, building, or city?  There may be a
pneumatic tire on the cart in the foreground, which would likely place the
scene after the Revolution (and, of course, before the atomic bomb).

In the absence of a direct answer, I would be grateful for a contact for the
cover artist, one A. Bondarenko.

Many thanks,

Andy Hicks