Soviet internal passports

Edward M Dumanis dumanis at BUFFALO.EDU
Fri Sep 16 21:37:55 UTC 2005

The internal passports were introduced starting with January 1, 1933 by
the Joint Decision of the Central Executive Committee and the Council of
People Deputies dated December 27, 1932.
Interestingly enough they were not universal at all but clearly intended to
exclude and excluded large social groups (e.g., peasants).
See, e.g.,
http://www.vn.ru/28.09.2002/society/21506/
or in chronology closer to the end of
http://www.openweb.ru/obyvateli/16.html