STALINKA

Sun Sep 25 18:52:28 UTC 2005

Stephanie Sures wrote:

> I think "The Cult of Stalin" would be appropriate. The word implies
> strong feelings on both sides of an issue. I am not trying to suggest
> that the monster should be celebrated; however, I think the issue of
> ambivalence deserves attention. The guy did help defeat Hitler;
> perhaps one paranoid sociopath is best equipped to quash another. The
> lesser of two evils, perhaps? Maybe that's pushing it.

It's anyone's guess whether a more charismatic, less brutal leader
might've defeated Hitler sooner or at less cost. It was certainly a
monumental task. It's also worth considering whether Hitler's defeat was
foreordained by geography and his own faults -- he was stretched pretty
thin by the time he got to Khimki, and it's hard to maintain control of
such a vast area through repression and brutality. There just aren't
enough fanatical murderers to go around.

Paul B. Gallagher
pbg translations, inc.
http://pbg-translations.com