publishing inquiry

Alexander Boguslawski aboguslawski at ROLLINS.EDU
Thu Sep 29 20:23:34 UTC 2005

Dear Professor Chandler,
Thank you for your response.  Perhaps I should have been more open about my project, but sometimes projects like this feel  very personal...  To be brief, I am talking about essays and speeches of Sasha Sokolov.  Perhaps he is not considered famous, but for me he is one of the most important Russian writers of the 20th century.  Since English-speaking readers can judge what he accomplished only by A School for Fools and rather elusive Astrophobia, I think that these literary essays would contribute to our understanding of his importance.  This is particularly true if we consider that both translations of Sokolov's works deserve revisions. I've been working with Sokolov for more than 20 years and I am the only translator of his Between Dog and Wolf (into Polish) in the world.  I also translated his Shkola into Polish.  What I am planning to produce is a book which besides providing translations, will introduce the essays (some of them may seem dated) and annotate them, when necessary.  It is a serious and difficult project, but one I think I am uniquely qualified to undertake.  However, to make it as good as possible, I am looking for an editor who is open-minded, adventurous, interested in things Russian (perhaps one who knows Russian), aware of Sokolov's achievement, and willing to cooperate.  In exchange, I am willing to do the work for peanuts... unless I am very lucky and find a publisher who also pays...
As far as Anatolii Gladilin is concerned, he emigrated early and settled in Paris, where he lives today.  He just celebrated his 70th birthday, but I heard that he just published a novel and two short stories in Russia.  His Zaporozhets, in Russian, can be found on the Internet, and it always seemed to me to be a hoot...
Once more, thanks for your response. I hope that my explanations helped just a little...
With best wishes,
Alexander Boguslawski

>>> kcf19 at DIAL.PIPEX.COM 9/29/2005 3:17 PM >>>

Dear Professor Boguslawski,

It would help us to help you if you could tell us more.  Who is the 'famous
Russian writer'?  And perhaps you could even tell ignorant people like
myself a little about Gladilin.

Regards,

Robert Chandler