oops! my secret is out!

Russell Valentino russell-valentino at UIOWA.EDU
Fri Sep 30 01:51:37 UTC 2005

There are plenty of holy fools. Outside that, I suppose Paul I may have been
deranged (but wasn't much liked), while Nikolai Fyodorov had ideas that suggest
at the very least a quite lively imagination. Michael Holquist has a fine
interpretation of Gogol's Diary of a Madman that suggests it may represent
Peter. Another kind of madness. There doesn't seem to be much of a tradition of
the "madwoman in the attic" in Russia. Ivan IV was often angry and probably
sometimes mad, too. I'd be curious to know who did coin the phrase in question.