Onegin again

David Powelstock pstock at BRANDEIS.EDU
Sat Apr 1 17:01:04 UTC 2006

Well, thank Venus we have Webster's Dictionary. Now we can discard all that messy and contentious sexuality scholarship, with all its inconvenient distinctions and differing viewpoints. And I wonder which is more reductive of sexual identities, to distinguish among various cultural, behavioral and psychological paradigms, or to conflate every set of synonyms and near synonyms on the basis of a dictionary designed for general use. To then cast this conflation in terms of political correctness, attacking those who don't buy into this facile maneuver as "homophobic, exclusionary aggressors" is a self-serving and despicable perversion of liberalism. If any term currently in play now seems more capacious than it did yesterday, it is "glupets."

David

David Powelstock
Asst. Prof. of Russian & East European Literatures
Chair, Program in Russian & East European Studies
Brandeis University
GREA, MS 024
Waltham, MA  02454-9110
781.736.3347 (Office)