Onegin again

Sat Apr 1 21:15:39 UTC 2006

Robert Orr (colkitto) wrote:

>> hear, hear!
>>
>> The phrase "ad hominem argument" seems apt in this particular exchange.
>
> No, it doesn't. "homo-" in "homosexual" is from Greek "homo-" (with an
> omega in the first syllable) "same" (cf. also Common Slavic *sam- plus
> all its derivatives (most people on this list could probably come up
> with hundreds, from any Slavic language), and not from Latin "homo" -
> "man" (actually "human"; ultimately cognate with Common Slavic *zem-
> "earth", cf. Lithuanian zmuo/zeme)

Fascinating.

> In English, forms derived from Latin homo should be pronounced with a
> short vowel in the initial syllable, and  those from Greek homo-
> with a long one. (This distinction has been lost in most Slavic
> languages, even those which preserve any sort of length).

Yeah, sure! You've got a case!

No matter how right you are etymologically, English will do as it
pleases. We do say [ædˈhɑmənɛm] with so-called "short o" and
[ˌhoməˈfobɪk] with so-called "long o" according to your prescription,
but if it were the other way around that would just be the luck of the
draw. Many of our earlier long and short vowels have been reorganized,
some several times along the way, for reasons that have nothing to do
with their provenance. "Night" originally had a short vowel, but we
lengthened it when we dropped the velar, and no army of etymologists can
change that. What will you do with homonym [ˈhɑməˌnɪm]?

In the same way, modern Russian /a/ doesn't necessarily -- or even
usually -- represent a Common Slavic long vowel. There have been too
many changes along the way.

Paul B. Gallagher
pbg translations, inc.
http://pbg-translations.com