Padunov's announcement a repeat?

Vladimir Padunov padunov+ at PITT.EDU
Mon Apr 3 10:49:43 UTC 2006

Dear Steven Hill:

One copy of the announcement for the issue of KINOKULTURA was sent to
several list-servers, all of which specialize either in cinema studies or
Slavic studies-- specifically: SLAVCIN, H-FILM, SHERA, CULT STUD, and
SEELANGS.  The first message is sent by the Editor of the journal to
SLAVCIN; once it is posted, I as Deputy Editor notify the other servers in
one sitting by sending a single message.  No one else works on the journal
and since Birgit Beumers and I provide the information as soon as the new
issue goes online, it is virtually impossible for either of our
announcements to be preceded by someone else's.

Vladimir Padunov

--On Monday, April 03, 2006 1:45 AM -0500 Prof Steven P Hill
<s-hill4 at UIUC.EDU> wrote:r

> Dear Prof Padunov & colleagues:
>
> This is an interesting contretemps (attached below).    Speaking only for
> myself (subscriber to a number of different list-servers), I am virtually
> sure that I saw the same"Kino-Kultura" announcement 3 different times
> in the past 3 or 4 days. (And quickly deleted 2 of them.)  No harm done.
>
> I'm not sure on what list-server(s) I saw the different "copies" of that
> same  announcement. But I certainly concede the possibility (stated by
> the "auto- deletion" received by Prof Padunov) that the same announcement
> about  "Kino-Kultura" might have been submitted to SEELANGS more than
> once,  such as by different submitters...?
>
> Best wishes to all,
> Steven P Hill,
> University of Illinois.
> __ __ __ __ __ __ __ _
>
> Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2006 02:22:33
> From: "CITY UNIVERSITY OF NEW YORK/CIS LISTSERV Server (14.5)"
> Subject: Re: GETPOST SEELANGS
> To: Steven Hill <S-HILL4 at UIUC.EDU>
>
> Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2006 19:45:34 -0400
> From: Vladimir Padunov <padunov+ at PITT.EDU>
> Subject: Question to Moderator
>
> What is the point of messages like the following if you provide
> absolutely  no information on remedy?  Is that doing a "professional
> service'?  The  message I sent about the latest issue of KINOKULTURA, a
> journal devoted to  contemporary Russian cinema -- and therefore within
> the purview of the  readers of this list -- was NOT sent by anyone else
> and was not a repeat.  And yet getting in touch with you is absurdly
> difficult.  What do you gain  by this antediluvian way of operating?
>
> Vladimir Padunov
> _ ___ __ __ __ __ __
>
>> --On Sunday, April 02, 2006 5:11 PM -0400 "CITY UNIVERSITY OF NEW
>> YORK/CIS LISTSERV Server (14.5)" <LISTSERV at LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU> wrote:r
>>
>>> Your message  is being returned to  you unprocessed because it  appears
>>> to have already  been  distributed to  the  SEELANGS  list.  That  is, a
>>> message  with identical text  [ .... ]

Vladimir Padunov
Associate Director, Film Studies Program
Department of Slavic Languages and Literatures
1433 Cathedral of Learning          voice: 1-412-624-5713
University of Pittsburgh               FAX: 1-412-624-9714
Pittsburgh, PA 15260                       padunov at pitt.edu

Russian Film Symposium        http://www.rusfilm.pitt.edu